Our History intent…
At Sandylands, we aim for a high quality history curriculum that develops children’s natural curiosity into the past and taps into our own rich local history, linked to important historical events, people and places both nationally and globally. By linking these three areas we aim to give our children a sense of who they are, where they came from and how events today shape their future.
- We want our children to develop their skills as historians, informed by high quality lessons delivered from the National Curriculum.
- Children will be challenged to ask perceptive questions about the past.
- By giving them access to quality artefacts, sources and resources, we will teach our children to think critically and weigh evidence.
- We will bring history to life by making the most of the wealth of local heritage sites in and around Lancaster and Morecambe as well as using the talent of professionals and re-enactors whose visits will further invigorate the teaching of history.
- During history lessons our children will learn to sift arguments, develop perspective and judgement.
- They will become more confident in talking, debating and writing about how different groups and they themselves have changed over the time.
There was a Maya workshop in school this week delivered by the Museum service and the visitor commented on the children's knowledge about the Maya civilisation. She was very impressed not only with the facts they could recall, but also the insightful questions...
We are so proud of our school and local community. The children have been supporting the Royal British Legion selling poppies and our soldier silhouettes are on the front yard once more ... Lest we forget
Year 1 could not believe it when Ernest Shackleton came to visit. As part of their History curriculum, they have been learning all about explorers. We interviewed Ernest and he told us all about his adventures!
Year 1 had a great time visiting the Judges Lodgings as part of our History topic, 'Buildings through Time'. This was broken up into three sections. Below you can see where we learnt about the life of a servant.
Year 1 had a great time visiting the Judges Lodgings as part of our History topic, 'Buildings through Time'. This was broken up into three sections. Below you can see where we learnt about The Cottage.
Year 1 had a great time visiting the Judges Lodgings as part of our History topic, 'Buildings through Time'. This was broken up into three sections. Below you can see where we learnt about the Judges Lodgings.
We have been looking at what our school was like through history. We looked at what kind of playground they would have played. Some were very similar and some were very different!
In history, we have been learning all about our school. What was Sandylands like in the past? We interviewed Mrs Cokell who used to go to our school as a pupil. We learned lots of things about her experience at Sandylands and wrote about these as memories.
Last Updated on October 9, 2022